Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Kinder Teacher for the Day and lots of freebies.....

Yea.... you could say I was just a little bit excited to step in as a kinder teacher for the day! Our school held a $100,000 raffle to help boost teacher salaries and we worked to sell as many raffle tickets as we could.  Well, I thought it would be fun to challenge the teachers.... I told them whoever sold the most tickets would get the day off and I would plan and teach their class for the entire day!
Well..... let's just say I think I might have been more excited than they were! I miss having a classroom to call my own! So anyway, a kindergarten teacher won the ticket sales. This week was her day off and my day of FUN in her classroom!  Kinder babies are so awesome! Here is what our day looked like.....

When they walked in, they played sight word spin. These were their targeted sight words for the week...
They loved working with a paper clip and saying their sight words out loud.

This kinder class is right in the middle of their non-fiction unit of study.  Our teach point today was looking closely at how nonfiction authors use details in their writing.  We read Koalas and collected new details about koalas. As we read, we added to our koalas can, have, and are chart. 

After we read, we moved to writer's workshop.  As writers, we wrote using details in our text.  It was interesting to see the many details about koalas come out through their illustrations.  In this pic. the child was showing the detail of koalas having long arms to wrap around the a tree. She also noted that  they have sharp claws for climbing trees. I love their sweet illustrations. 

Math was way to much fun! We worked on counting by tens and adding tens together. We started by using small ten frames and counted to 100. Then we worked with the unfix cubes, using each cube as a ten.  Our final step was introducing the idea of adding tens together.  I used the part part whole machine, pictured below, to show them. This is made out of 3 pieces of PVC pipe and I glued the labels on.  It's awesome because you can actually put the tiny ten frames into each part and the whole comes out at the bottom. They were captivated! For reinforcement, we repurposed the old lady math mats I made in my first grade unit 2 math workshop. We added the cubes to her belly and each side of the pipe cleaner was a part. Then we used the math language 10 and 20 is 30. It was great! They loved filling her belly with tens. 


 For a wrap-up and quick assessment, minders worked in pairs putting the 100 chart puzzle back together by looking at the 10s.  This was good insight to see who still needs more reinforcement in their road to mastering the tens.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Lizzie!
    I found your blog on the TpT forum. I'm so glad I stopped by! You have all kinds of good ideas! And that teacher pajama party must've been so much fun :)

    Stacy
    Made with Love

    ReplyDelete